Monday 10 July 2017

Mermaid madness...

Good Morning everyone...
I'm here today with a tutorial for 
Copic Marker Europe
to show you a few ideas for creating a mermaid card.

Sandie Dunn did a beautiful tutorial at Copic Marker Europe on Wednesday which showed how to colour an underwater scene with Copic Markers.

Today I am going to show you how to use a Copic Airbrush System to create the sea, and how to use Copic refills, mirror card and die cuts to create bubbles.

I enjoyed this so much and I hope you do to!
Here are the ingredients I used to make my card.  The Copics for the sea are Copic Markers BG13, B24, RV17, B29 and the Copic Refills for the bubbles are BV08, YG95, Y17 and Colourless Blender.
First, I dropped a few spots of Copic Refills BV08, YG95, Y17 and Colourless Blender close together on a glass mat. 
Then I pressed a piece of silver Mirrored card onto the ink - you need to work swiftly here as the refills dry quite quickly, also, don't move the card around, just press it onto the inks and lift it off.
The effect of the refills on the mirror card will look something like this.  (I love this so much I am already thinking that this effect will look great for snow and snowflakes)!
Using Memory Box Small Ringlets and Circle Dies I die cut cut the mirrored card.
I love how you can see the purple and gold marbling on the die cuts. 
 Next, to make the sea, I used the airbrush to colour a piece of card.
I used the chisel nib of the Copic Markers and sprayed the colours in the order BG24, B13 and RV19.  Comic Airbrushing is very straightforward if you remember to spray slowly and steadily.  (....and remember to cover your work surface with paper - this is especially important because the ink goes a long way)!
Finally, I sprayed the card with B29 using the brush nib of the Copic Marker.  When you use the brush nib in an airbrush the effect is like a fine ink splatter. 
Next, to create a watery effect in the sea I first tipped some Colourless Blender into a pot. 
Then, I completely dipped my fingers into the colourless blender,
...and flicked the blender onto the card, I did this a few times until the blue sea was covered in lots of different sized droplets.
I thought these two techniques were really good fun! 
It would be great if you could try this and show your cards to us at 
Copic Marker Europe on Facebook.
To find us just follow the link
I finished my card by colouring a mermaid from the gorgeous MFT set - Mermazing, and adding a sentiment from the MFT set - You're A-maze-ing.  I added a Die namics Stitched Rounded Rectangle Frame.  All these products are available from
Copic Markers Used
Skin - E04, E01, YR000, YR0000
Hair, YR24, YR23, E99
Mermaid Tail - BV08, V17, V15, 
Gold Star - Y19, Y15, Y11
Clown Fish - YR09, YR04, YR02
Thank you for popping by.
happy Copic Colouring...
from Sue ...xxx






6 comments:

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Such a sweet card

Nataliascraft said...

Your mermaid card is gorgeous, love the mirrow background effect it looks fab x

Diane.W. said...

Lovely card x

Annette said...

Really clever background technique and a lovely mermaid! Gorgeous card hun. xx

Fikreta said...

wow! backround is so nice!
gorgeous card!

crafty-stamper said...

Great background and love the cure mermaid and little fish
Carol x